Saturday, May 05, 2018

Strawberries



It has been a busy and non-garden oriented day... So I am going to talk about my strawberry strategy.  I heard from many people in my area that birds, squirrels, and possibly other animals tend to steal all of their strawberries, so I hope to grow mine in hanging baskets - then bring the hanging baskets into my screened in porch after the berries start to grow (after the flowers have been pollinated).  The first of three varieties I am growing this year, "Old North Sea", are from a viking settlement - shipped as plants and so I got them in the planter early.  I bought planters for my other two varieties today, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have the "Red Wonder Wild" strawberry (berries are supposed to be extra sweet and flavorful but wilt within an hour or two of picking so need to be eaten fresh immediately) and "Attila" alpine strawberry planted.

No comments: