Friday, July 03, 2009

Walker Treasury Project

The past few weeks while thinking about new patterns I've been knitting a few blocks for the (Barbara) Walker Treasury Project. I chose three blocks from her book Mosaic Knitting. I had a great time learning her mosaic technique. and I know I'll be using it in future projects.
I chose three blocks to make this time #s 100, 112 and 115. (photos below).
I have a deep affection for Barbara G. Walker's books. I first encountered her writing as a Pagan. She has written such books as The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects, Feminist Fairy Tales, and many more.
Imagine my delight when, as a newish knitter, I discovered the Treasury of Knitting volumes and realized they were by the same author. :-} In fact, one reason I am eager to help with the knitting of the mosaic patterns is many of them draw from sacred symbols. What an afghan that will make!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

I can just see my Mormon pioneer ancestors wanting to knit that wagon wheel in the bottom photo. One of them was considered very old-fashioned by her peers because she insisted on taking her spinning wheel along the trek, back when handspinning was just such an old-folks thing to do.