Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bricelyn's Hat

One of the knitted things I made for family this winter is a hat for my niece Bricelyn.
I have pictures of her wearing it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them from my phone to my computer, without paying a $5 per month email attachment charge.
I got the bluetooth sort of working, but still didn't make that final leap into exchanging files. Anyway, I took a few photos of the hat just before I added earflaps and blocked it. The photos on my phone look MUCH better, but you get the idea.
The pattern is based on a hat called Oslo-Cairo, designed by a user on Ravelry called Urraca, who is coeditor of a terrific online knitting magazine called Tejemanejes.

The Oslo-Cairo hat has a Norwegian shape, and a chart based on a medieval Egyptian sock now housed in the Textile Museum, Washington, D.C. *** (see image below, from a sock made by Anahita of Dar Anahita)
I chose the design (depicting gazelles) because Bricelyn keeps goats. The gazelles looked sufficiently goat-like to me, particularly as they seem to be eating :-}
Bricelyn has a smallish head so the original chart would have been huge on her. I decided to use the 'goats' facing only one direction, and it worked out fine.

The yellow yarn is dk weight held double, and was dyed by Lynn of Colorjoy, the pink is Lorna's Laces shepherd worsted, the green is Brown sheep Lamb's Pride worsted in Lime Ade.
The dark green is scrap yarn, where I later added a liner strip in a single strand of the dk yellow and pink garter stitch ear flaps. She loved it, and it looked great on her :-}
***Warning, clicking on the link to the museum may suck hours of your day away. It's a fantastic place, and has provided inspiration for several patterns for me already. (coming in January)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, I like it and I love the knitted items as well.

Sure look forward to seeing you niece in the hat one of these days.

Keep up the great work.

Lutrah's Ocean Alter said...

Oh, I should have read that warning about the museum more than once....
The hats are beautiful!
I am knitting a second sock for DD as I read... my first ever toe up!
I gotta figure out a different way to do the heel, it is a bit sharp....
Just Love, Love, Love the goats!