A new family favorite, designed just this year. Great for remembering the sun is coming back.
Sunshine Orange Shortbread Cookies
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/4 cup sugar (granulated, brown or confectioners, depending on the texture desired)
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/8th teaspoon salt
* zest of one orange, 2 if the oranges are small
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar, add the orange zest.. Slowly add the flour and salt, mixing well. The dough turns a lovely shade of yellow.
3. Press dough into the bottom of a pie plate (I like to use pyrex or glass, as it cooks more evenly), making the edges slightly thicker than the middle. Score into 8 pieces for later cutting, prick all over with a fork (about an inch or 2 apart). I also like to draw sun designs. Its a great opportunity to turn food into art :-}
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown at the edges. You will begin to smell it when it's close to done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut along score lines. Don't try to remove any slices until almost completely cool or the cookies will crumble.
***note: do not double recipe, just make successive batches.
(image from freefoto.com)