Saturday, December 02, 2006

Cat worship and a new recipe

Oscar has high blood pressure, so we've been reducing salt. It seems to be working.

We both love a (very occasional) treat of saurkraut and sausage with potatoes, but everything about it is worth 4 days ration of salt, so I made this recipe as a replacement.
First I took our favorite brand of saurkraut (Silver Floss) and rinsed it very very well. Then I added about 1/8th-1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar to it. Rinsing the salt rinses off too much of the sour.

I used some 'hash brown" frozen mix (no salt, just potatoes, onion and peppers) and mixed them up with a little olive oil and some garlic before layering the potatoes in the bottom of a casserole dish.

Then I grilled off some lean boneless pork chops in our grillerator (which gets rid of any excess fat) and layered the pork over the potatoes. Then I smothered everything with the saurkraut and popped it in the oven on low heat for about an hour.
It came out pretty good!
(images below, a common sight in our home, Oscar being worshiped by Basil and returning the favor :-}

No comments: