Saturday, October 06, 2012

Spinning Wheel Mitts

First, I kept my resolution to begin writing fiction this morning. I did ok, just fleshing out a few ideas.
It seemed to spark another need for completion, so I finished and loaded a new pattern ready to buy on Ravelry:  SPINNING WHEEL MITTS






This stranded pattern is based on a design seen often in historic knits. It is known as the Spinning Wheel in the Faroe Islands, and a similar pattern is known as the Sun Wheel in parts of Scandinavia . I am sure it has other names elsewhere. By using a solid color with a patterned yarn, especially one with a limited color range the results are elegant and interesting, and best of all easier to execute. I have provided two options for the lower cuff, one suitable for either men or women the other with just a touch of lace.


Hand sizes in the pattern:  S (m, l, xl) to fit 6 (7, 8, 9) inches around your hand

Materials:
250 yards each
Knit Picks Bare Stroll Fingering - MC
Knit picks Stroll Handpainted Sock in Pony Ride - CC
(or any other fingering-weight yarn that helps obtain gauge listed below)

Needles :
Small for ribbing sections#2,( 2.7 5 mm )
Larger for leafy start and stranded sections. #3 (3.25 mm)
or size to obtain gauge of 8 stitches per inch in stranded knitting on larger needles worked in the rnd.

Skills needed: Knit in the round with your preferred method, paired increases, stranded knitting.




2 comments:

Don Meyer said...

Wow! Those are beautiful!

AlisonH said...

Oh how cool! I'm going to point that out to the woman getting my tulip wheel.