I learned some catastrophic news yesterday. Ok, only catastrophic for me. I discovered COFFEE has citric acid in it. And contrary to what your logic might tell you, the darker the roast, the less citric acid (and more of other acids) it contains. My perfect cup of coffee is a light roast. It does explain why I have had troublesome days when having more than a single cup. It is impossible to avoid all citric acid. Heck, a human body produces quite a bit of it during the course of the day, but it is almost instantly metabolized thus doesn't create a problem for those of us with hyper sensitivity. It is only when I encounter more than a certain level of citric acid that the results are life-altering. But to be as healthy as I can be, I need to avoid it in foods and topical substances when I can. Which means, for my health, I need to give up one of my most beloved morning rituals; my cup of coffee. Low acid substitutes (like Kona brand) will not get rid of the citric acid, and wouldn't be as satisfying anyway. (It only alters the pH, and doesn't remove the ingredients)
I DO enjoy a strong cup of tea, though, 'strong enough to revive a dead mouse' as some might say, so I will make that my new morning ritual. I hope after a few weeks of this my health will improve, if so, it will be worth the sacrifice.
I know, life could be worse, but it was a hard blow.