Friday, January 01, 2010

Pattern Charity 2009

A while back I decided that I wanted to find some way to raise money for charity. I had no income. zero, zilch. (I am disabled and can't work, but have been denied SS benefits several times) In September 2008, I designed the Cloud on Her Shoulders shawl, and was able to contribute $46 to the Susan G. Komen Foundation as of July 7th 2010.

Inspired by that, I went on that same month to design my Kiva Bag, to raise money for the Kiva Loan program.

I am delighted to say because of the people who bought my two charity patterns since July 2009, I am able to give an additional $52 to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and also start up a brand new shiny Kiva loan!

The breakdown is as follows:

Cloud on Her Shoulders (Since July 1st): 43 from Ravelry and 9 from Patternfish = $52 to Susan G. Komen For The Cure!
Kiva Bag (for 2009): 21 from Ravelry and 4 from Patternfish = 1 brand new Kiva Loan!

No, it is not a lot. But since I was starting from zero income, I am very proud to be able (with your help) to make this difference, no matter how small. :-}

Thank you everyone, I couldn't have done it without you! As more of the 2 patterns are sold this coming year, I look forward to what more we can do together. (links to buy the pdf downloads are at the right side of this page)


I am also pondering what to design for the 2010 charity pattern from Otterwise Designs. Any suggestions for type of item and or charity? I'm leaning toward a food bank or a homeless shelter, myself.



For the first Kiva loan, I have chosen:

Doris Yolanda Blanco Huallpa
"Doris, 49, has been a member of the "Las Kantutas" communal bank, which is located in the district and province of Puno, Puno department, for the last 8 years. She is a single mother of two children. She finished secondary schools and sells handicrafts. Doris tells us that with her initial, 300 sol, loan from Manueal Ramos Movement she bought wool. She now requests a 3000 new sol loan which will be used to buy all kinds of wool and raw materials for her crafts. Her dream for the future is to have her own crafts store and that her children become professionals. What she likes most about her communal bank is the savings and the gatherings with the members."

I chose Doris in part because she is working within the same field I am, in part because she is approximately the same age I am, and finally, because my mother's name is Doris :-}

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Diana, you humble me. What a great and generous heart you have.

Kym said...

What a wonderful gift. :-) What a terrific way to share your blessings.

Anonymous said...

Wow -- good for you. That is awesome.

AlisonH said...

*blink, blink* I'm older than your mother?! But I love the whole micro-loan concept, and I love that you can change the world right there from your chair and your needles. You know how cool that is.

Lynx said...

My vote for this year's charity is (drum roll please): literacy program. Yeah, I could knock you over with a feather right now, couldn't I, you are SO STUNNED. ;-) and of course the project would be a book bag.... with matching bookmark, perhaps?