Friday, January 25, 2013

For José

Soon after we moved into our new apartment, I met José, the maintenance supervisor. He became a friend when we bonded over crochet. He made granny square blankets the way his mom taught him for his kids. We lost him earlier this month, and I miss him.
The apartment company is having an auction to raise money for Jose’s family on Sunday. I have spent the week making a granny square lap afghan for them to auction off. My hand is hurting but my heart feels better.


5 comments:

Don Meyer said...

Beautiful! All heart!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend. Fiber work really can enable emotional healing...

Deb said...

Lovely Afghan, the granny square is one of my favorite motifs and just looking at one brings up thoughts of warmth, love and comfort, which I am sure the person lucky enough to win it will feel all the love you put into it. A wonderful gesture and a great way to mark the passing of Jose.

AlisonH said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry! And so grateful you're doing that for them. Jose would be so pleased.

Kym said...

What a beautiful, meaningful gesture. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your heart continues to mend.