Saturday, October 01, 2011

A Kinder, Gentler Year

Every year as my birthday approaches I begin to think about the year that is passing and what I would like to change for the next year. 

My main resolution at this point is to try (again) to focus more on what I can do on a daily basis than to fret about what I can't. Since that line moves on me almost every day (and sometimes during the course of a day) this probably means not making firm plans based on a timeline. Instead I plan to keep a fluid list of soft-focused goals, and work toward the goals without trying to hit any specific mark.
For example: 
  • I will try to write something on a review every day, rather than attempt to submit X number of reviews per week.
  • Instead of having ebay sales every week, I will use my turbolister program to get individual auctions ready one at a time, and whenever I think there are enough to list on a weekend, up they go. (Ebay has sucked recently anyway, my Weldon's collection is bringing only a small fraction of what the books go for elsewhere... a book listed on Amazon for $125 went for $19.)
  • I will work a bit on my ongoing patterns as ideas come to me, and publish them when they are ready rather then try and get X number of patterns published by Y date. If I can't focus enough to knit a specific pattern, I can always wing a hat or sweater for charity. If it needn't fit any specific person, it is pretty mindless knitting.
I'm hoping this change of mindset will end up with me accomplishing more, with (more importantly) much less frustration.  

5 comments:

'Zann said...

Sounds like a plan! I've been doing some re-thinking as well (just turned 60) and am being very protective of my time. I want to have a few of months of allowing life/work to unfold, rather than proceed on a pre-planned course.

Don Meyer said...

You are smart to focus on what you CAN do rather than what you cannot. That's a lesson I learned many years ago (but then I'm older than you).

And if something doesn't get done, it is not the end of the world. Your health, both physical and mental, is more important.

There! I have spoken!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!

AlisonH said...

Take good care of yourself.

If it helps any, some sellers on Amazon subscribe to a program that automatically adjusts their book's price when someone else's gets near it--and they can auto-escalate without being noticed by the sellers.

Kym said...

That sounds like a winning attitude, Diana; a perfect way to celebrate what you CAN do, without putting so much pressure on yourself. :-)