Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Meandering

I keep expecting things to change, and they do, but within ever-narrowing parameters.
I keep hoping the times when my mind is sharp and able to do math the same way twice will last long enough to finish the edits on the Kaleidoscape pattern, or to shine up the rough drafts on the reviews, but it hasn't made it there yet in recent time. Writing like this on the blog is relatively easy. I just use whatever words float to the surface. It is a different matter entirely when pursuing specific descriptors to the bottom of the silty pool my mind becomes when I am ill. That is an exercise in frustration. I suppose it gives my writing an unusual flair, some days an abundance of trite phrases, some days odd pairings. (I have been re-reading the Amelia Peabody series, which tends to provide a vocabulary approximately 100 years out of date.)
Still, I try and write, and once in a while the words I want are on the surface for the reviews, too but it goes slowly. I had a relapse yesterday, the same headache/intestinal trouble/weakness trifecta as happened last week. One of the peculiarities of my immune system is that the bug that comes to visit seems to have a two-way door, like a doggie flap all it's own making it possible for it to come back in and stir up the symptoms again just when I think I am close to recovered.
Re-reading this it sounds like I am whining, I don't really feel as depressed as this sounds. I am happy, mostly, especially since I've stopped expecting the clear days and just nab them as they come by.
The past 10 days or so have been spent knitting hats for charity from my partial skeins of yarn, messing around wasting time on the computer, and watching tv.  Oh, and napping. Perhaps yesterday was the last gasp and the recovery will continue and last this time. I am feeling much better, especially considering I only got 4 solid hours of sleep. (that nap thing gave me about 12 hours the previous night).If I still feel better I will get out of the house by visiting the farmer's market with Oscar. I love the fresh produce this time of year, and there is the chance of running into old friends. I haven't been out of the house for more than a week again, a very bad idea.



3 comments:

Don Meyer said...

I'll be darned! I was on (am) on your blog while you were on mine.

Ok, you weren't whining -- just explaining. And, yes, some of your sentences are, um, interesting. I write reasonably well, and some newspaper articles/columnists can drive me up the wall (and I don't mean my 'wall' in Facebook!)

AlisonH said...

Wishing you the best. I'd love to send you a black squirrel to keep you entertained.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this honest update. Hope you're feeling better soon! :)