Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Asian Slaw - great picnic and potluck recipe



Asian Slaw
Best made a day or so ahead.
1 small head cabbage
1 bell pepper, any color
2 small carrots or 1 medium carrot.
Sauce:
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp freshly ground ginger (or that stuff in a jar at the produce section)
1/2 tsp garlic chili paste
1/2 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Cut up the veg into slaw-sized pieces
Blend sauce well (I like shaking it up in a jar) and pour over veggies, then toss.
Oscar found those cool-looking peppers called 'Ancient Sweets'. They are ultra flavorful, and remind me a bit of pimento. Hard to tell scale from the photo but they were about 8 inches long!.
If I had access to a dream produce department, I would have loved to add a chiffonade of shiso leaves, both green and purple, for color and their yummy sweet flavor (the Latin name is Perilla, I think it is also called beefsteak plant).
The photo of the slaw is pre-dressing. The dressing adds a bit of color, but not too much; sort of like a pale, shadowy glaze.
This is another of those recipes that can use whatever you've got in the fridge.
I have used broccoli slaw in the past, added shredded raw turnip or kohl rabi, pretty much any raw veggie can be shredded a bit and added to this. This, however is what I did today.
(Photos except for the shiso taken by me)



No comments: