Thursday, April 29, 2010

Salad Days


This seems to be recipe week! I have yet another soup recipe to share tomorrow, but for today, it's all about salad. Although I make salads in the winter, there is something extra special about all the lovely fresh local produce you can get that inspires me to have a salad almost every day once spring hits.
This is what I threw together a few days ago. I didn't give exact proportions (except for the cheese) as your tastes may differ than mine. Of course you can substitute ingredients, too, but this wound up being a lovely balance of sweet and savory:

romaine lettuce
red radish
baby bell peppers (Oscar found these the other day at Hillers, they are very cunning and flavorful)
half a can of black-eyed peas
celery
carrot
1 ounce of super sharp cheddar cheese, finely crumbled.

Dressing:
2 parts Olive oil
1 part Malt vinegar
Jamaican Dread Mustard Sauce (just a wee bit, only a few drops, really)
salt and pepper

It made a huge lunch salad, and I had a happy crunching time :-}

No comments: