Monday, November 09, 2009

Lovely Compliment, Good Cause

I have been sitting on this news a little while now, sort of hugging it to myself, and bringing it out to think about when I need a bit of a cheer-up.
Zina of Another Long Yarn has asked me to be part of a charity knit-a-long for *KAS by designing an eight-inch square.
JustDawne contributed a lovely post on Another Long Yarn that sums up the Knit A Long better than I can.
Can You Spare a Square

She mentions you can join the knit a long either on Ravelry at the Knit A Square Group or on the Forum at the KAS site.

I am so excited to be part of this. It is a charity close to my heart. I love that a small action taken by many people can make a huge difference in someone's life. One of my favorite quotes says:

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. "
Margaret Mead


I would re-word it in this instance. A single idea, acted upon by many people contributing a finite effort, can make a very big change in many individual lives.

Another exciting part for me is that the other two designers who will be contributing square designs are Kristeen Griffin-Grimes and Lucy Neatby. You can imagine the honor I feel to be in such company!

What means the most to me, on a personal level, is that despite being home bound, with little face-to-face interaction with anyone beyond my beloved Oscar, I will be able to participate in and contribute in a small way to such a meaningful undertaking.

Thank you Zina, for thinking of me. You have given me a wonderful gift.


*KAS is Knit-A-Square, a charity effort to send squares to be made into blankets to keep southern African orphans warm. A quote from the site:
It is estimated that there are 11.6 million orphans in sub-Saharan Africa. 1.4 million live in South Africa.
Please visit the site to learn more about Sandy, and how her efforts are making a difference.

7 comments:

Zina said...

LOL -- I don't know whether to tell you to keep your thanks because they all belong to you for wishing to help support KAS, or tell you not to be silly because you're a lovely designer, or what! :) I'm so excited (as is Dawne, and the staff at KAS) that you're designing a square (TWO squares, with a crocheted version as well!) for the KAL, and all of us are waiting with bated breath to see what you come up with - I'm going to try to make 10 squares of each designer's square as well as 5 of my own, and send them all in together to make either one blanket or whatever they like, myself!

Thanks again, Diana! You're fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Diana,
I can't wait to see your squares! Thank you for being 'on board' and so enthusiastic in your support.

dawne

AlisonH said...

What a cool thing to be a part of. Thank you for the heads-up!

Unknown said...

Hi Diana, if you are excited I am ecstatic! What you are all doing is just fabulous. How wonderful to have you designing squares, thank you. They will one day soon adorn some young child's blanket and be greatly treasured I am sure. How generous Zina to be making 10 of each of the designer's squares. Thank you all, this has made my day! Sandy

Kym said...

Diana -- What a wonderful piece of news! I'm so excited to see what you come up with, and I'm really interested in this project. :-)

Karen said...

This is certainly wonderful news--and well deserved. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

momtroll said...

Oh, Diana, how exciting. I am very happy for the good news. I am sure you will have a smile on your face for each stitch in your square. It will be fun to see what you make. Cheers!