Saturday, June 13, 2009

ARCA Racing For Wildlife 200

It was such a gorgeous day yesterday that I changed my mind and went to the ARCA race with Oscar.
I was still in recovery mode from our trip to Ohio, and a few out-of-the blue allergy attacks last week, but the emotional cost of staying behind would have been worse than the physical cost I'm paying now.
I am glad I went. It was a great experience (and my first auto race).
You can find all the details about who won here.

For me, it was one of the best, most accessible experiences I've ever had.
I have been to many a concert where Oscar was stuck with sub-standard seating because that was where my wheelchair could go.
Not Michigan International Speedway.
Our choices were two: either we could be right down in the very front next to the racing, or in the highest seats in the house, with a bird's eye view of all the action. Marvelous!
The folks there to help went out of their way to be certain we were having a good experience, offering a ride to Oscar when they saw his cane.
He took them up on it for the trip back to the van.
I had to insist three times that I wanted to follow along behind in my beloved electric chair rather than ride along, and that was fun too! (My chair goes about 6.5 mph, and I love racing it at full speed :-}
We are going to be coming back, likely almost every year, and camping for the weekend to avoid the traffic. in the meantime, here are some photos:




2 comments:

Ria said...

Wow awesome seats! great view!! So glad you had a great time!

See you on Rav!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome trip. What a view!! You two have such happiness on your faces.... YAY!
-Marietta