Monday, February 05, 2007

Remember Summer Oatmeal

For breakfast the other day, we made Remember Summer Oatmeal. (brand new dish, combination of Oscar's idea and Diana's recipe)

Our favorite oatmeal, no competition, is Silver Palate brand Thick and Rough Oatmeal

We made that to package directions.

To top it, per Oscar's suggestion, I made a summer fruit compote. That's all. Very healthy, very satisfying, and simple.

SUMMER FRUIT COMPOTE

2 cups frozen fruit, thawed. (I used a combo of Blackberries, raspberries and blueberries)
compatible fruit juice - a cup or less
thickening agent (I used 1 tsp cornstarch)
pinch of cloves
1/8 th tsp cinnamon
Brown sugar to taste (I used 3 Tbsp)
splash of vanilla

Pour off juice into measuring cup, fill with compatible fruit juice to make 1 cup.
Make a slurry with your favorite thickening agent and some fruit juice. You want the final consistency to be a little loose, not thick like pudding. (I used 1 tsp cornstarch)

Cook the cup of juice, some brown sugar, a tiny pinch of cloves, 1/8th tsp of cinnamon and the slurry until the thickener has begun to work and the liquid is translucent. Add the fruit, remove from the heat, add a small splash of vanilla, and mix well but gently.

Spoon over whatever you want, and remember summer. Great with French toast.

1 comment:

Monika said...

Hi Diana,
wow, this oatmeal and summer compote looks yummy! That gives me an idea! I would love to send you my smoking hot sock pattern, but I'll need your email address. ;o)Take care!