Saturday, January 13, 2007

... Nipples to the Wind

and other sayings..

I am delighted whenever I come across a new (to me) euphemism, or phrase that just hits dead center.
I still remember the first time I heard 'whatever trips your trigger', 'whatever blows your skirt up' and 'about as useful as teats on a boar'.
The full phrase used in the title is 'chin up and nipples to the wind' which gives a very accurate image of what the phrase is proposing. Face life head on, ya know?
When I was a kid we'd refer to something that was out of kilter as 'whopperjawed' although none of my acquaintances since have ever heard the word before.
Anyone have any quirky words or phrases to share? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of good phrases, but the only one that was good that my grandmother said was "Nuts and no Christmas!" Don't ask me why, but it was hilarious when she'd say it when frustrated. Obviously, that's not the sort of phrase you are looking for, but I thought I'd throw it in for a laugh :)