Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Milkweed, Monarch Butterflies, and other Pollinators













Last night I went to a workshop on pollinators (bees, butterflies, wasps, birds, etc.) and how to make a home garden more hospitable to them.  I found out that Monarch Butterflies need milkweed to hatch eggs, and that there is a shortage of milkweed in this area.

It turns out that one of the people there is a major advocate of Monarch butterflies, and he offered me a few plants.  I was thinking plants like the 4-6" plants you usually see growing in flats that you can buy... but when I picked up the plants today to my surprise some of them are 20" tall.

Dave was kind enough to provide me with a few plants each of three varieties of native Michigan Milkweeds, the "Common Milkweed", "Swamp Milkweed" and "Butterfly Milkweed".  I especially like the look of the Butterfly Milkweed, pictured above right.

We are very lucky to have found a source of such vigorous plants.  I know he has uses for them elsewhere, so I am feeling very honored today.

Oscar

No comments: